Born in Catania on January 15, 1963, at present I am full professor of Structural Geology and Geodynamics and head of Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences at the Catania University. PhD in Tectonics and Structural Geology at the Camerino University. Senior grants at the “Laboratoire de Tectonique de l’Institut de Physique du Globe” of the P.M. Curie University of Paris.
I am a field geologist with experience in morpho-structural analysis, quantitative analysis of tectonic structures, geological-structural interpretation of seismic profiles.
Main courses held at the University of Catania: Structural Geology, Field Geology, Geology of Urban Areas, Geodynamics, Applied Geology. Tutor of several graduate theses, Member of the Academic Board of the PhD courses of the Catania University “Geodynamics and Seismotectonics”, “Earth Sciences”, Tutor of several PhD theses for the PhD courses.
The early field of interest was represented by studies on structural and regional geology based on the structural analysis of fold and thrust collision belts and wrench zones, with the production of several geological maps both in the Calabrian-Lucanian Apennines and in Sicily focused on the reconstruction of their geometry and geodynamic evolution. Successively, researches have been turned to morphotectonics and active tectonics, aimed both to identify and morphologically and kinematically characterize the main Quaternary crustal structures of Calabria, Sicily and Crete (Greece), and to study Pleistocene marine terraces and Holocene paleaoshorelines. Recently, the research has been also focused to geo-archaeology of archaeological sites in Sicily Calabria and Crete, and on factors of geological risk along coastal areas of central Mediterranean, related to sea-level rise and tsunami waves. Finally, researches on geology of urban areas have been carried out.
I was involved in projects regarding the assessment of geohazard in coastal and marine areas and the realization of geological mapping. In particular, I was Scientific Coordinator and Responsible of Research Unit for the Italian Research Program PRIN 2010-11 “Active and recent geodynamics of Calabrian Arc and accretionary complex in the Ionian Sea”.
1. analysis of the scour processes generated by an oscillating flow at the base of vertical structures (piles) ;
2. investigation on the formation and evolution of small scale bedforms in the coastal zone;
3. study of the run-up over beaches and steep structures;
4. analysis of the bed roughness induced by a sandy bottom to the flow;
5. analysis of the wave-current interaction in the presence of small scale bedforms.
6. shear stress estimate through bioluminescence and ferrofluids.
7. hydrodynamics and morphodynamics induced by the presence of waves and currents on a submarine sand pit.
8. study of wave-structure interaction and estimate of wave reflection induced by coastal structures.
|Director of the Department of Biological, Geological and Environmental Sciences|
|University of Catania|
|Corso Italia, 57|